Wow, so much has happened since Chris got here that Catalina feels like three years ago. I am so deeply grateful for everything and everyone that worked to make that short trip possible. Even more so now than in the beginning since there have been so many things to busy our time on the "mainland".
May's surgery, as hopefully you all know by now, went off without a hitch and she is recovering well. In fact, she is recovering so robustly that she has found her tongue and decided to stick it out whenever she feels the time is right, click it to pass the time absent-mindedly and other various things one can do with one's tongue. She has (just yesterday to be exact) taken her first assisted steps and since that moment has not stopped standing up with or without our help (she has found that tables and other surfaces can be useful for this exertion). What joy is ours! (and what joy will be mine when Chris is gone and I have a baby who has skipped crawling and gotten mobile on her feet right off in this house that is not mine to baby proof) As a friend has recently said, "Let the games begin!"
In all the mess that has been the past two and a half weeks, Chris has I have shared our thoughts and definitions of discipline, when we think it is necessary, how to perform it, etc. How will we keep him involved as the head of household and wife if it becomes necessary before he gets back home? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Another thing that we have been thinking and praying hard over is this: while we know that Maylisa has always strongly preferred me over anyone else, have I done anything to foster this in a way that is detrimental? She has been sleeping with me since Chris has been gone. We know that this is a controversial practice but felt that it was not a hill to die on one way or the other but just a personal preference of parenting. We do not hold to any belief that things we do now will form and shape permanent aspects of her character, scar her for life, or make her less sinful or more apt to receive Chris into her heart at the tender age of 2. We do believe the God has given her to us on purpose knowing full well ahead of time the decisions that we would make in the process of parenting her and still allowing us to have this particular child with our best and hers in mind. All that to say, we are discussing things and beginning to wonder whether our choices have made our current situation harder for us than it would be had we made other decisions. Currently I sleep in a full size bed, obviously not large enough for three people no matter how small the size of the third may be. Chris is here for one and a half more weeks, he slept on the couch last night because May and I fell asleep before he got to bed and he didn't want to disturb us by moving us over. Tonight May is learning how to sleep in her crib.
Thus arises the problem. She has never napped well in or out of her crib. She has always been a baby that wanted to be held a LOT. I am not talking "All babies need to be held", I am talking about a LOT of holding. She has never been the type to "Cry it out" (what on Earth does that phrase mean anyway?) She has never napped more than twice a day since the good old days of newborn-ness passed. She gives me a grand total of three hours of napping on a really good day. none on a really bad day and an average of two hours on a normal day. In her crib on a normal day, I get one hour or an hour and a half if she decides to be nice.
So, tonight is her first night alone in her crib. She has been down for one hour and woken up five times. Not to mention the fact that, while installing a diaper rinsing hose with a "t" connector to the toilet in the bathroom across the hall, it didn't work as planned, a pipe cracked, the replacement pipe couldn't get put on because the old one wouldn't come off and there has been a lot of un-foreseen noise from across the hall to the nursery. Such are the frustrations of trying to get lots of thing done in a short period of time with a baby.
SO, after that ramble through the woods, have I made it harder for us to put May in the crib or is she just a VERY high need baby who has been through so much in her short little life that I am the only person she knows and trusts? Or is it both?
Either way, and no matter what we believe about parenting at this stage of the game, I want to take every opportunity I have to choose Chris above our daughter. Not to her exclusion, but for her benefit. So she will never have a reason to ask me why I didn't choose Dad instead of me or her or anyone else. So, she learns to sleep in the crib. hopefully within the next week and a half. And I get free snuggles with Chris before he goes home. Ultimately the best choice for all three of us at this point. and, I believe after all this thinking and writing (which has helped me think) the most biblical one, too.
Are we doing this right? I feel in over my head already. I am so glad to know the perfect parent. the perfect Father. Only He knows for sure.
2 comments:
"Only He knows for sure..."
Preach it, sister!
All He requires of us is that we seek Him, trust Him, follow Him, and praise Him. It's the "simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ," as Paul said. I will always pray for you that you will remember that and rejoice in it.
Wise, experienced mothers always tell me that you make all your big mistakes with the first one, even though that's the one you agonize over everything for! So my answer? Just don't agonize! (Easier said than done, I KNOW). Try something for a few weeks and see how it affects her. If you don't like the effect, slowly introduce something new.
You know that my heart aches for you as you struggle through the absence of Chris as husband and father. I will pray that God will help Maylisa to trust others and be more flexible. Meanwhile, please feel free to schedule time for me and Chris to watch her while you go for a book-and-coffee break at the Starbucks down the street.
I love you!
This too shall pass, my dear friend. It will not be easy, but more difficult for you than for her. Amelia didn't sleep in her crib, either. In fact, we spent many nights of her sleeping in her car seat or in her swing, because there she would sleep. And while you remember the long, tearful nights of her crying and crying, she won't. Hang in there! Love you bunches and wish we could share a cup of coffee. Well, I'd get you your own cup and I'd have my own cup. Don't want to share cooties, ya know. :) Miss you oodles and oodles and oodles. Love ya dude.
Post a Comment