Friday, December 12, 2008

Gratitude

I have spent the past few weeks struggling with the disappointment over Chris not coming home on the 3rd and with the fact that I am inconsistent in thankfulness to the Lord. OH! How I hate my self centered pride! So, this post is just s list of all the things that, in the past month, the Lord has gifted to me freely. I don;t deserve any of it.
#1 My excellent neighbor. She has four children- works two jobs, takes prodigious care of both her parents who live with her (both with major health problems), sells home made crafts on the side, and finds all sorts of time and energy to help me. Even going two hours up a hill to pick up furniture and store it in her garage across the street for me until I can ship it off. What a great lady and what a friend at the perfect time. She thinks I am a friend to her too, I don;t see how I can possibly be giving to her as much as she gives to me.
#2 My daughter. What a precious gift from the Lord. She has been gifted with joy and a sweetness of temper that is a constant encouragement to me. She is so responsive to discipline that I hardly have to discipline her. I praise God for seeing these things in her already and am hopeful and prayerful for her future relationship with Him who will always parent her better than I ever could. But I love her. so much
#3 My husband who never seems to lose his cool head during times of great stress and disappointment. What a treasure that will always be even when it irritates me. He refuses to conciliate with me when I am stressed out and angry about things. What a steady example of steadfastness in honor of God. I am deeply grateful for his example to me and his faithfulness to God.
#4 My in laws are the most wonderful people ever! They have given me half of their house for over a year. They have re-arranged everything to let us live here and have recently been free on call babysitters. What wonderful people. Their generosity will always be remembered, as well as their ease in giving it. There has never been a single complaint voiced to me and I am sure I have provoked many.
#5 Again, this whole past year, though not recommended for anyone, has been used mightily by the creator and author of our marriage. We have both grown so much and learned so much from the Lord. We are both so excited to be together to put all that we have learned and been talking about into practice for His glory in our marriage. I can't say enough about how amazed I am at how much has been done in just one year (or two and a half for that matter. wow)
#6 Craig's List. We needed furniture, we looked and we found beautiful furniture (some of it brand new). We found enough to furnish our entire house almost entirely anew for less than we had anticipated and are so grateful for His gifts and rewards for the stewardship of my husband this year. (again, there is that faithfulness)
This last especially is like icing on the huge cake of God's goodness. It only excites us more as to the house He is preparing for us and the friends and family we hope to host as guests in it.
We are amazed and grateful and awed at the tenderness, power, majesty and holiness of the God who became am an to make peace with us eternally. He cares for us. He watches us. He intercedes for us and He provides for us. WORSHIP HIM!!!! FOREVER!!!
What a great and good God and how wretched I am! But how He loves me and keeps His promises to forgive me and sanctify me each day. I am overwhelmed today, dear friends, at His greatness and generosity towards me who hated Him. May your Christmas be filled with wonder and awe at how this great God knows and loves you.

1 comment:

gutmanfam said...

Heather, what a great post. It just makes my heart happy to hear your praise of your faithful God. May He bless you and smooth the way for your transition to Italy, and to living with your husband again!
Carol