Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Maylisa's first package


The air force base at Osan has a really cool service offered at the library each Thursday between 3 and five pm. A small group of people come with a selection of childrens' books and a video camera and set up in the back room to record straight to a tiny DVD. They film fathers and mothers reading stories to the children they left at home.
Chris sent his first one to May last Thursday. We got it this Wednesday. (There is a quick mail turn around for those of you wanting to write. I know writing letters isn't a "guy thing" but Chris has little time and is not able to check email or write email at work. Plus, when is it not fun to get a personal letter in the mail box when you are away from home? But, I digress...forgive the shameless plug. )
He was concerned that he had no time to pre-read and rehearse the reading before he sat down to be filmed. But we loved it. I love the web came, but there was something about seeing more than just his head that made me happy. I got to see his hands move when he spoke. I saw him smile as he turned the pages...lots of little things that make me think I will watch these videos like a weeping sap. May smiles when she sees her daddy's face, so she smiled hugely and I kept telling her how much Daddy loves her. It was fun. It made for a really happy spot in our day. well, in the whole week, really...We miss him quite a bit around here. What a cool service to the military families that have to hold down the fort. He's going to try to send one a week.

5 comments:

Naomi Smith said...

fun! hooray to the ones who thought of it and the ones that make it happen.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

Jayme Solomon said...

What a great idea.

Cat said...

what a fantastic idea! that is so cool!

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

How special. I'm glad he has that opportunity. I'm sure it's a huge blessing for you AND Maylisa.