Oregon was great. I don't think I have ever been so pleased at inviting myself for a visit as I was this time. Ivy, my older sister, impressed me with her tender hospitality towards me, her tireless schedule, and her drive to bring her children up with the morals and values she believes in.
I was struck at how, though I have not truly known her well for at least ten years, I still had the old opinions of her that I had formed before I was even a teen. She blew all of those out of the water. What a wonderful person she is. Her children, Montana and Wyatt, are extraordinary.
Montana, who is a beautiful girl of twelve, is destined to have a career in something requiring eloquent and persuasive speech. I love hearing her describe things. She is totally a girl- and tons of fun with it.
My nephew Wyatt (10) was my little traveling gps system. "I can get you there." was his usual response to any request for directions to anywhere in the Portland area. impressive. He also held doors and held May while she was upset and I couldn't. He ran out to start the car for us when it was cold outside so it would be warm for the baby. What a sweet little gentleman.
I can't say enough about how wonderful it was to get to know my sister all over again and to see her in her daily environment with her children. I am glad she allowed me to invite myself up for a week.
We miss Chris a lot. I miss him a lot. We don't get to talk as much or as long as we would like to but the phone that I though we wouldn't need has become something that we are both dependent upon. I get to wake him up each morning at 5am (noon the day before Pacific time.) We usually get an average of ten minutes before he has to leave. He has long days and irregular hours so the time varies, but I am increasingly grateful for that phone that I thought I wouldn't like. Even though I never would have spent money on one myself.
Over-all, this week, May and I are doing well. the tiny snags that I can see here at the in-laws are only the regular "room mate" kind. If these are the worst of our troubles living here, and I don't foresee anything harder, the year in this house will be easy.
My emotional responses to Chris' absence are now subject to change each week- or each day for that matter, so keep asking. keep checking. keep praying please.
No comments:
Post a Comment