I got this in the mail today. Wrapped in brown paper. I love getting things in the mail. Chris always laughs at me for it.
Something about getting something in the mail is wholesome and nostalgic to me. It is so much more relational and personal to me than email (Which I do often) or phone calls (which I also make very often).
I never remember to think of buying or making gifts until it is too late. Every year birthdays and Christmas sneak up on me and I have to run around trying not to leave a loved one off the list of folks to remember. Inevitably, someone gets forgotten. I thank God every year for my loved ones, friends and family alike. who are so gracious about being forgotten in this area. I beg Him to give me opportunities to remind each one how I love them year long so that they will not doubt.
Then, there is the dilemma of meaning. I want to be able to present a gift that shows a knowledge and understanding of the one it was purchased or made for. One that will say to that person, " I thought of you when you were out of my sight. I remembered who you are, and I wanted to give this exact thing to no one but you because I knew you would love it.". It has never happened. I know several people who are so gifted in giving gifts. Perfect gift every time. not me.
Again, I thank God for the grace of my loved ones. And for the family rota that is quickly becoming a traditional trend, it seems. This year, Chris' family as well as mine did it. Chris' family chose to use the old stand by of picking names from a hat. My mother charts out a rotation for our family every three years and we just check it each year to see who we have for the next one. (I love how administrative my Mom is.)
My sister, Meghan, was assigned to us this year. With the relationship that we have always had, she could have presented me with a classic whoopie cushion or a collection of her favorite you tube videos of people falling down and I would have understood, laughed hysterically and loved her for thinking to make me laugh again. Instead she asked me what a favorite passage of scripture for our family is. One that we remembered being around for a long time as something that we wish to live by. We chose the passage that was read aloud at our wedding. One that is so important. One that we have forgotten and remembered- turned from and turned back to, since that precious day. I wondered what she would do with it, thinking, "I hope she doesn't get one of those wooden signs carved with that whole passage on there."
This is what came in the mail today. I opened it early because she didn't tell me not to. I read the note that she sent with it and cried. I thanked God for her and for His perfect timing in assigning her our family this year. She is married to a marine who is deployed to Iraq for the second time. She is stationed in Japan with four children. She is able to relate to every bit of what lies ahead for me. She understands me. She remembered who I am at this exact time in my life and she made this just for us because she knew that it would move us.What a perfect gift at such a perfect time.
I love you, Meghan. I love you Chris. I will see you both soon.

2 comments:
Wow. What an amazing gift.
How beautiful and thoughtful.
Post a Comment