Saturday, November 3, 2007
Differences
I am sitting here thinking about how the last three days have been so challenging and we keep missing our meetings with Chris. It has been hard to get used to having only one way to communicate. There is is much that is communicated without words. Even emotional communication (i.e. tension in the room, sadness, happiness) does so much to add to or enable understanding of each other. It is missed when I have had a hard day and I finally get to meet Chris on Skype and he is tired. He doesn't think to tell me he is tired because he usually does not have to. I think that I will get the usually thirty minutes of conversation and prayer. He is thinking that he will keep his commitment to meet me on Skype and say goodnight and go to bed. I get disappointed and he gets confused. All because we are not in the same room with each other and are un-accustomed to having to say those things out loud before the conversing begins.
I am grateful for this month of trial before the real challenge begins. There are so many things that we take for granted when we have a daily routine with another person that consists of them coming home at the end of each day. When I have a hard day ( or perhaps, a few in a row) the support that Chris can offer is so different (and more challenging) than what he offers when he has come home from work.
He can't just take the baby and give me 10 minutes to walk around outside. He can't take her when she has been screaming for a couple hours so that I can have a break. His support from across the sea must be different. verbal and spiritual. but that is all. No hugs, no leaving the house and leaving baby behind. He can't offer me that.
How different we will be when his year in Korea begins. and when it ends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment