Friday, April 30, 2010

Mom of two


We have been busy adjusting to having two kids at home- and when I say busy, I mean busy! We had an appt. at the city hall the day I got released from the hospital (two days after Lisy was born)which was four hours after the relase time. So, Chris packed for the day and brought May and we all hung around Aviano for a few hours. Two days after that, we came back to the medical center to check her weight. then I was right back into PWOC and church, etc. It seemed I had three or four appt.s a week to be somwhere or do soemthing and we were just running like crazy. We finally have a slow day at home and Chris is taking a nap with Lisy. This may be the first quiet afternoon I have had since she was born!
We have been adjusting quickly and I thank God that Chris was approved for "leave in the local area" just before Lisy was born. He was able to have 10 days paternity leave (a nice new benefit) and then take one more week at home before returning to work. I needed it. I was tired and cranky for that first week while trying to adjust to less sleep and two girls. At the same time, May hs grown a TON and has begun to need attention, teaching and discipline in a whole lot of new and challenging ways. I needed Chris to be here with his patience and understanding for May while he disciplined her with mercy and grace. What a blessing that has been.
Elisabeth eats a whole lot more than May and is a whole lot more vocal about any sort of discomfort or interuption in sleep. She has already gained almost two pounds and has grown half an inch. I can't belive how fast it seems.
We have had a great time observing all the "Forinashisms" in her already. Chris says that she reminds him of my Dad. I agree. She can make her whole lower jaw quiver whether or not she is cold or about to cry. My Dad can do that on command. she makes a ton of facial expressions just like Dad and she grunts and snorts in her sleep just like Dad, too. I won't go further down the list but, Dad, we know you will find a kindred spirit in her. AND she is pretty easy about letting anyone hold her! This makes me more excited for you to meet her, Dad, because i know she'll let you hold her as long as you want. (The antithesis of May when she was a baby.)
Speaking of whom- she is loving the older sister role. It has been sweet, fun and hilarious to watch Maylisa adopt this role as seriosuly as she does. Some examples of this respoonsible approach to this weighty position:
1) In the car, when Lisy starts to fuss, "I know, I know, I know, baby. Almost home, Lisy. Almost home sweet girl." (this gets louder the louder Lisy cries until there is so much noise in the car, I am about to join in.)
2) When lisy is in the bouncy seat and cries out with gas in her sleep- "Mom, should I turn her seat on to make her feel better? Does she need it to vibrate?"
3) each time Lisy is within reach and one of us is holding her, May wants to snuggle, kiss, or help to hold her on her merry way as she passes by to play or get another book. Very sweet.
And last but not least:
4) While we are eating at the table (and this is the only place this happens lately) and Lisy is in the bouncy seat, beginning to fuss: "Don't be a bebeh, Bebeh!" in a very cute little accent. It cracks us up.
She helps me hold Lsiy while I feed her and puts little blankets on her when she thinks she needs one. Currently Maylisa has taken it upon herself to try to teach Lisy how to clap. We'll see how that goes. Next on the list is sitting up. i good order of events, I think.
We have only had a very tiny taste of the hilarity that we feel sure of witnessing as Lisy gets older with May as her sister. We can't wait to see how it comes out.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I'm so glad you posted this - I've been wondering how everything is going. I can't believe how busy you must be - wow, you must be TIRED! Praying for your family!