Thursday, January 22, 2009

The land of Gluten- Free- ness

Wow! We love Italy so far. I almost broke out with tears and hugs of relief and gratitude yesterday when I went to the local "farmacia" (pharmacy) and asked for food "senze glutine" for my "sono celiac" husband. The women behind the counter did not even bat an eyelash. She looked straight at me, smiled like it was an everyday thing and said, "ci." She then led me to the gluten free food aisle. (Celiac is so familiar to Italians that along with vaccinations testing for celiac in toddlers is commonplace)
We're talking pasta that tasted like normal pasta and not bitter quinoa grain, cookies and crackers, biscotti...and we haven't even been to the big farmacia yet. The one with all the gluten free stuff- these things were just at the little one. This is what they had on the shelf.
We buy it at the farmacia by the way, because celiac is considered a medical condition, as it should be, and not just an allergy. I am already tempted to change citizenship. Just kidding, Mom.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I would be very sad if you changed citizenship. I will start fighting to get better gluten free food here okay.

Amber Hanshaw said...

that's awesome!

Jill said...

Wahooo!!!!!!!!! You're there. I am crazy excited to see pics:)

Jill said...

Wahooo!!!!!!!!! You're there. I am crazy excited to see pics:)

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting and handy! I hope that is really helping Chris feel better! So glad you made it there safe.

Amy VH

Naomi Smith said...

yeah! you are using your Italian and shopping at your farmacia!
good for you!
N

Rachel said...

oooh, i'm already impressed with your italian!