Wednesday, September 12, 2007

allergic reactions? cloth diapers and answered prayers

These past two and a half weeks have been SO fun and SO fast. We have learned a lot about our new little girl and have been to the doctor three times for various reasons. Tomorrow will be the fourth,this visit for her 2 week well baby check up. The most recent visit being today, for a persistent rash or skin irritation that A&D has done nothing to correct over 9 days time.
We got another ointment and were advised to continue the use of the seemingly useless A&D. sigh...
We did find that May has gained two pounds since the day after her birth- putting her at 9lbs. 12 oz. We have4 also found that she has incredibly sensitive skin. We use special laundry detergent, special soap for bathing and lotion. Now we use a special cream on her little butt.
In light of all this, we have spent the better part of a month researching (and talking to educated and experienced people) cloth diapering. Oh the awesome and intimidating prospect! BUT, aside from the sensitive skin issues, we have done the math. We will save almost $1000 dollars a year at 10 diapers a day (which is what babies go through) on just diapers alone. Not to mention if we decide to use cloth wipes. That may prove to be a gruesome adventure depending on how well I keep up with things.
The past week a lot of friends have asked me how breast feeding is going,etc. I thought I would just post on here that it is going incredibly well. We have had one really fussy night outside of her first night in the hospital. (We all decided that those people that tell you to room in the hospital to enjoy the last time of people taking care of you are nuts. We hate being woken every two hours for vital signs to realize that we have been sleeping in an uncomfortable bed. Even the baby hated it. Go home.)
I prayed a lot about these transitional things in teh hopes that they would be easy for us so that Chris would have less to worry about when he left. Thus far, God has given every one of my requests an affirmative answer. We took to feeding right off without any problems. She has a built in schedule for the most part that only changes when she is growing rapidly (like this week). She was born only waking up twice at night to eat. Once between 12 and 1am and once between 4 and 5am. Apparently, as an added bonus to Chris who has seemed unusually worried about shaken baby syndrome, God has also granted me extra measures of patience and calm responses. Chris is very impressed that I don't get frustrated when I get puked on. I don;t really know what to think of the impressiveness of that, but I am glad for it.
So, all in all, we have an unusually easy baby with an unusual amount of patience. :) Things are grand. and we're having a ball.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so proud of you both - your dependence on the Lord's care for you and this new little jewel! Our God is so near to us!
Praise God for you both & I can't wait to meet her!(:
Love to you both!